Bike Accident Attorneys – Dangers of Bicycling in Miami
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were over 38,880 bicycle-related injuries in the United States in 2020. The state of Florida had the highest number of bicyclist fatalities with 170 deaths. In Miami specifically, bicyclists face many dangers when riding on the roads.
If you are an avid bicycle rider, you know all too well that Miami’s roads are notoriously congested with drivers who sometimes ignore the rules. Many drivers fail to yield to bicyclists, drive too close to them, or even make irresponsible maneuvers that put bicyclists in danger.
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a bicycle accident, you need the help of an experienced Miami bicycle accident lawyer. At Kaire & Heffernan, our attorneys have decades of experience representing Miami bicycle accident victims and helping them recover compensation for any damages they have suffered. We understand how devastating a bicycle accident can be and we will fight for your rights.
Just How Dangerous is Biking in Florida?
Bicycling is a great form of exercise. When you get on and begin peddling one generally thinks of the fun, the fresh air, the company, and the scenery. You might also be thinking of how many calories you’re burning and how great you’re going to look because you are performing this exercise.
One thing you are more than likely not thinking is of the danger lurking around the next corner. Bicycle accident dangers abound in today’s cities, but they could be anywhere. There are some unusual occurrences that lead to bicycle injuries but there are few injury causes that are more common.
- Drivers not paying attention to cyclist
- Drivers failing to yield to cyclist
- Drivers opening vehicle doors without looking first
- Commercial vehicle negligence
- Defective bicycle parts
As shown, most of the common bike accident dangers are human negligence in nature. In order for bicyclist to be truly safe there needs to be a combination of occurrences such as better bicycling paths, improved driver’s education, and improved laws to protect the bicyclist.
Here are a few laws that currently exist in many states:
- Drivers should pass on the left side of cyclists allowing a safe distance between them
- Drivers will not park or drive in bicycle lanes
- When opening the doors of a vehicle, drivers and passengers will do so only when safe
- Drivers will exercise due care to avoid bicycle collisions
- Drivers will yield to a bicyclist making a left turn
Why is it so important to protect the cyclist? There are several reasons such as: it’s a human right to be safe and protected, bicycling is a growing sport and we are likely to hear of more injuries, if we don’t do something now, and the following eye opening bicycle personal injury accident statistics:
- 630 bicyclists died in the United States in 2009
- 74 out of 630 were 14 years old or younger
- 2% of all 2009 traffic fatalities were bicycle deaths
- 93 bicyclists 15 years old and under killed
- 13,000 bicyclists 15 years old and under injured
- 41 years old is average age of bicyclist death in United States
- 31 years old is average age of bicyclist injured in United States
- Bicyclist injuries increased from 43,000 to 51,000 from 2007-2009 (a big increase)
The numbers speak for themselves. The causes do as well. What about the cyclists? What about the injuries? These can range from mild to moderate to severe and even to death.
- Traumatic brain injuries (some recoverable, many not)
- Fractures (from simple to complex, recoverable to permanent impairment)
- Lacerations (simple cuts to major life threatening)
Hire a lawyer you can trust to pursue fair compensation in a bicycle accident injury case. Call our Miami law office toll free at 866-769-0123 for a free initial consultation. You can also contact us online and we’ll get back to you shortly to discuss your accident.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Miami
Bicycle accidents in Miami are often caused by drivers who are careless or reckless. Common causes of bicycle accidents in Miami include:
- Distracted driving (texting, talking on the phone, etc.)
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drivers opening motor vehicle doors without looking first
- Failure to yield to bicyclists
- Commercial vehicle negligence
- Driving too close to bicyclists
- Defective bicycle parts
- Poorly maintained roads
- Defective roadway design
Most of the common bike accident dangers are human negligence in nature. For a bicyclist to be truly safe, there must be a combination of occurrences such as better bicycling paths, improved driver’s education, and better enforcement of traffic laws.
Navigating Florida law, municipal laws, and insurance coverage can be complex and confusing. The attorneys at Kaire & Heffernan can help you understand your legal rights and pursue a Miami bicycle accident case. Call us today at 866-769-0123 to schedule a free consultation.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicycle accidents can result in serious injury. Common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck and spine injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Lacerations and contusions
- Internal organ damage
- Paralysis or paralysis-like symptoms
- Emotional trauma
- Wrongful death
Injuries from bike accidents can be extremely serious and require extensive medical care. Furthermore, the insurance company may try to downplay the extent of your injuries or deny your bicycle accident claim outright. A Miami bicycle accident attorney from Kaire & Heffernan can help you file a personal injury lawsuit to seek financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
How Will a Lawyer Help After a Miami Bike Accident?
At the law firm of Kaire & Heffernan, our Miami bicycle accident lawyers will take the time to understand the circumstances of your accident and develop a legal strategy to maximize your compensation. We will investigate the accident, collect evidence, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. We will also represent you in court if necessary.
Our Miami bicycle accident attorneys have the experience and resources to handle any type of bicycle accident case. We frequently handle cases involving:
- Collisions with motor vehicles
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Accidents involving children or minors
- Accidents resulting in serious injuries or wrongful death
Injured in a bike accident? You need a strong advocate on your side. Contact Kaire & Heffernan today at 866-769-0123. A bike accident attorney can review your case and help you file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party. We will work diligently to get you the fair compensation you deserve!