“A nip here, a tuck there, a little lipo, and who’s the wiser?” That’s how we tend to talk about plastic surgery in our culture. There is a popular belief out there that plastic surgery isn’t all that serious, and that cosmetic procedures somehow don’t count as “real” surgery.
The truth, though, is that plastic surgery is an invasive procedure like any other. It involves very real risks, many of which are life threatening. We have seen plastic surgery malpractice and we know first hand just how dangerous plastic surgery can be when it goes wrong. And sadly, complications arise more often than you might think.
Common Complications of Plastic Surgery
Cosmetic surgery is accompanied by a whole host of risks and hidden dangers. Among the more common complications of plastic surgery are:
- Unsightly cosmetic errors (may cause patients to feel even worse about their appearance than before)
- Buildup of blood or fluid under the skin
- Nerve damage (sometimes permanent)
- Infections at the incision site
- Scarring (sometimes permanent)
- Skin problems that develop around the incision site and require additional surgeries, which carry their own risks
- Anesthesia errors, which can cause serious or fatal reactions
- Bleeding (may be internal or external, minor or severe)
- Perforation or puncture of internal organs
- Blood clots
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Brain Damage
- Sudden death
Get Advice from an Attorneys
In spite of its reputation, plastic surgery is serious business. While many procedures are completed without complication, errors are alarmingly common and can prove extraordinarily dangerous or even deadly. More often than not, plastic surgery injuries in Florida are the result of a health care professional’s negligence. In those cases, victims are entitled to financial compensation for their damages. Unfortunately, a great number of plastic surgeons do not have Medical Malpractice insurance coverage. A lot of the procedures are done in hospitals, but rather in the doctors office or surgical center which the doctor may own.
At Kaire & Heffernan, LLC, we have many years of experience as accomplished attorneys in Miami. We are dedicated to helping innocent patients recover from the enormous burden of medical negligence. We do not charge for our services unless there’s a successful outcome in the case, and our initial consultations are free. Contact us to set one up today
Mark Kaire has been practicing law in Miami for nearly 15 years. He is dedicated to helping the injured people of Miami receive compensation. Mr. Kaire has been blogging on Miami’s legal issues for 4 years.