E-Scooters and E-bikes are a suitable alternative to conventional modes of transportation, especially in Miami to cover short distances. Americans are using these micro-mobility products to travel to work, school, and perform other activities. Our office is located in Brickell, and the roads are filled with scooters. ¸
Many app-based services have sprung up in the country that offer E-scooters and E-bikes for rent, leading to parking space shortages and other hassles for many cities and communities.
According to a US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) report, injuries and deaths continue to rise as the use of micro-mobility products gains popularity in the country.
As the number of E-scooters, E-bikes, and hoverboards on the roads increases, so does the risk of accidents. These products are smaller, compact and quieter, making them less visible and audible to other drivers on the roads, which can make these micro-mobility products vulnerable to accidents which result in injuries to it’s riders.
E-Scooters are dangerous for pedestrians too, a danger illustrated by the death of actress Lisa Banes after getting hit by an E-Scooter while crossing a street in New York City in June.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS SAFETY COMMISSION (CPSC).
The US Consumer Products Safety Commission is in charge of protecting the general American public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products.
Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer products-related incident costs the country more than $1 trillion every year.
The CPSC is working closely with ASTM International and Underwriters Laboratories to develop and improve voluntary standards to address the mechanical, electrical, and human factors that make some products hazardous.
CPSC has been responsible for the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
Here’s what the latest data from the CPSC indicates:
- Emergency Room visits involving micromobility products-related accidents jumped by 70% between 2017 and 2020.
- More than 190,000 emergency room visits were recorded due to accidents involving E-Scooters, E-Bikes, and hoverboards between 2017 and 2020.
The year-on-year rise is documented below:
- 34,000 (2017).
- 44,000 (2018).
- 54,800 (2019).
- 57,800 (2020).
- Most of the increase in micromobility product accidents between 2017 and 2020 has been attributed to E-Scooters. Emergency room visits due to E-Scooters-related mishaps steadily increased. The year-on-year rise is shown below:
- 7700 (2017).
- 14,500 (2018).
- 27,700 (2019).
- 25,400 (2020).
- Most injuries reported were to upper and lower limbs, as well as head and neck.
- 71 fatalities associated with micro-mobility products were reported from 2017 through 2020.
- In a report published last year, the CPSC observed that brake problems were a major reason for accidents involving E-Scooters, while hoverboards catching fire was also a recurring hazard.
- According to a study published in the Journal Of Pediatrics, hoverboards were responsible for landing more than 26,000 children in hospital emergency rooms in 2015 and 2016 respectively.
- A new study by Rutgers University shows that the number of head injuries from riding E-Scooters tripled over the past ten years.
FLORIDA LAWS FOR THE USE OF E-SCOOTERS AND E-BIKES.
Florida Governor Ron DeSanctis legalized electric scooters in 2019. Riders are required to be 16 years and above and are not required to have a driver’s license.
E-Scooters are required to abide by laws pertaining to bicycles. E-Scooters and E-Bikes are to be operated in bicycle lanes.
The bill signed by Governor DeSanctis allowed cities to regulate E-Scooter programs. These micromobility products must not exceed s maximum speed of 30 MPH.
ADVANTAGES OF E-SCOOTER AND E-BIKES.
- E-Scooters and E-Bikes are convenient to use, relatively easy to fix and maintain, and have low operating costs.
- These micro-mobility products cause no air or noise pollution, are eco-friendly, and save greenhouse gas emissions.
- They are fun to use, perfect for short distances, and easy to park.
DISADVANTAGES OF E-SCOOTERS AND E-BIKES.
- E-Scooters and E-Bikes have been responsible for increase in the number of accidents.
- These micromobility products can be easily stolen.
- Insurance companies are apprehensive to insure these products.
PRECAUTIONS E-SCOOTER AND E-BIKE RIDERS SHOULD TAKE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES AND OTHERS.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Be aware and cautious of the surroundings.
- Before riding an E-Scooter, make sure to check it for any damage. Examine the handlebars, brakes, throttle, bell, lights, tires, cables and frame before each ride.
- Respect the right of the road of all other vehicles.
- Never ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
TYPES OF INJURIES SUSTAINED IN MICRO-MOBILITY PRODUCT ACCIDENTS.
Most common e-scooter and e-bike accident injuries are :-
- Broken bones and Fractures.
- Facial damage.
- Spinal injuries/ paralysis.
- Internal bleeding.
- Scarring and Lacerations.
- Traumatic brain injuries.
- Serious burns.
- Permanent disability.
- Wrongful death.
COMPENSATION FOR A VICTIM OF A MICRO-MOBILITY PRODUCT ACCIDENT IN MIAMI.
Our E-Scooter accident lawyers in Florida work tirelessly to ensure that a victim of an accident involving E-Scooters or other micro-mobility products gets a fair and just compensation for :-
- Past and future medical costs.
- Lost wages and business income.
- Loss of future earning capacity.
NON ECONOMIC DAMAGES.
- Pain and suffering.
- Emotional distress.
- Loss of consortium.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
CONTACT A MIAMI MICRO-MOBILITY PRODUCT ACCIDENT LAWYER AT KAIRE & HEFFERNAN.
Our team of Miami e-scooter accident lawyers are skilled negotiators and dynamic litigators who know how to effectively deal with attorneys and insurers of the defendant who try to deny the plaintiff’s claim or reduce the claim value significantly. Our team will: –
- Identity potential defendant/s.
- Gather accident reports and medical records.
- Document all the medical treatment.
- Seek compensation from the liable parties.
- Stand up to insurance companies and force them to consider a victim’s claim seriously.
- Advice the victim so he or she can make informed decisions.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a micro-mobility product-related accident due to the carelessness or negligence of any of the following:
- Driver of a passenger vehicle.
- Truck driver.
- Bus driver.
- E-Scooterist, E-Biker, or Hoverboard rider.
- Manufacturer of a defective electric scooter or a product used in it, or
- Any Government entity.
Then you deserve to be duly compensated for the injuries suffered and other damages. Call an experienced E-Scooter Accident lawyer at our firm for a free case evaluation right away.Accidents
Mark Kaire has been practicing law in Miami for nearly 30 years. He is dedicated to helping the injured people of Miami receive compensation. Mr. Kaire has been blogging on Miami’s legal issues for many years.