Unfortunately, violent crime is on the rise. As of December 24th, 2020, Officials recorded 272 homicides in Miami-Dade County, up 31 cases from all of 2019, records show — up from 232 in all of 2017, and 252 in 2015.
The increase is attributable to many factors, not the least of which are:
- The pandemic;
- increase in Gun sales ;
- People are stuck at home and frustrated;
- Kids aren’t in school;
- People are in desperate need of money
Knowing that violent crime is on the rise, property owners and business establishments need to take reasonable steps to protect their guests from the foreseeable crimes.
Florida negligent security laws require property owners to make sure that their properties are safe for patrons. The property owners including apartment owners, hotel owners, nightclub owners or retail business owners should take adequate steps to prevent foreseeable criminal acts of third parties on their premises.
If a property owner disregarded measures that could have been instrumental in the prevention of a crime that resulted in injuries to a victim, such a victim may be eligible to seek compensation.
If you or a loved one has been a victim of a crime as a result of negligent security, consult a knowledgeable and experienced Miami negligent security attorney to inquire about your legal rights, and whether you are entitled to hold the owner of the property where the attack or assault occurred accountable.
CAUSES OF NEGLIGENT SECURITY.
Some common causes of negligent security include:-
- Broken locks, doors, gates, and windows.
- Lack of surveillance cameras and alarms.
- Poor lighting.
- Insufficient emergency exits.
- Untrained or understaffed security personnel.
REQUIREMENTS OF A NEGLIGENT SECURITY LAWSUIT.
In order to succeed in a negligent security lawsuit, a victim will need to prove the following :-
- The victim was lawfully on the property.
- The victim was injured by a third party.
- The property owner knew or should have known about the potential risks to visitors, and failed to provide and ensure adequate security.
- The victim’s injuries would not have occurred if the property owner had provided adequate security.
PLACES WHERE INCIDENTS OF NEGLIGENT SECURITY OFTEN OCCUR.
Common sites named in negligent security claims include:-
- Apartment complexes.
- College campuses.
- Shopping malls and shopping centers.
- Gas stations.
- Nightclubs and bars.
- Parking lots and parking garages.
- Community swimming pools.
- Music concerts and sporting events.
- Hotels and motels.
- Fast food restaurants
CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES REPORTED IN NEGLIGENT SECURITY CLAIMS.
Criminal activity that is commonly seen in negligent security claims include:-
- Armed robbery.
The crimes committed in negligent security claims are of a serious nature. If property owners failed to maintain adequate security measures on their properties, then they may be held liable for injuries sustained and costs incurred from such injuries.
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR FILING A NEGLIGENT SECURITY LAWSUIT IN FLORIDA.
There are specific time limits, restrictions and rules for filing a negligent security claim. An experienced negligent security lawyer ensures that you fully understand the Federal, State and Local laws that might apply to your case.
Florida statute of Limitations for filing a negligent security lawsuit is four years from the time of the injury. In Florida, premises liability lawsuits must be filed within four years after the cause of action occurred.
It is in the best interests of the plaintiff to enlist the services of an experienced Miami negligent security lawyer. Sufficient time is necessary to collect evidence to establish the defendant’s liability. Various witnesses have to be located and interviewed. Numerous records have to be collected and opinions of premises liability experts have to be sought.
COMPENSATION FOR VICTIM OF NEGLIGENT SECURITY IN MIAMI.
Our Miami negligent security lawyers seek to secure maximum compensation for the victim of negligent security and help him or her explore other options and alternative ways to seek additional compensation for injuries sustained.
Compensation awarded in a negligent security claim can help cover medical expenses, long term medical care, and other damages.
Our Miami negligent security lawyers help victims recover:-
- Medical Bills.
- Lost Wages.
- Damages suffered due to loss of companionship.
- Rehabilitation costs.
- Damages suffered due to Pain and Suffering.
- Damages suffered due to Emotional Distress.
- Costs of future corrective surgeries.
WHY HIRE KAIRE & HEFFERNAN?
Our qualified and experienced Attorneys possess in depth knowledge and experience to assist a victim and his or her family to navigate through complex and intricate negligent security and premises liability laws. Our team relentlessly fights to secure maximum compensation through verdicts and settlements for victims of negligent security in Miami and all across Florida.
Our team of negligent security lawyers in Miami are experienced at :-
- Collecting and protecting evidence. They know how to obtain and review police records and crime grids.
- Studying footage from security cameras and closed circuit video.
- Proving that the business owner should have been able to anticipate the criminal activity that caused the victim’s injury.
- Identifying the inadequate security measures which the property owner had in place at the time of the attack.
- Determining the minimum level of security that would have been necessary to keep the injured victim safe.
- Searching past criminal reports or incident reports.
- Consulting with experts to assess the value of a victim’s claim.
Our team of Miami negligent security lawyers know how to effectively deal with Attorneys and Insurers of the property owners who try to deny the plaintiff’s claim or reduce the claim value significantly.
CONTACT A MIAMI NEGLIGENT SECURITY LAWYER.
If you or your loved has been attacked, sexually assaulted or robbed at weapon-point while in an apartment complex, a parking lot, a concert or outside of a restaurant, you deserve to be duly compensated for the injuries suffered and other damages. Call an experienced negligent security lawyer at our firm for a free case evaluation right away.
Mark Kaire has been practicing law in Miami for nearly 30 years. He is dedicated to helping the injured people of Miami receive compensation. Mr. Kaire has been blogging on Miami’s legal issues for many years.